Wisconsin Romance Writers of America (WisRWA) announces the 2020 Write Touch Readers Award contest for published authors. We are excited to continue welcoming diverse authors, stories, and characters to our contest.
We are currently closed to entries. Please check back after May 15 for the contest results!
Here are the rules for 2020:
- Each entry must have an original publication date of 2019.
- The contest is open to RWA ($30.00 per entry) and non-RWA authors ($35.00 per entry). WisRWA authors are allowed one free entry, $30.00 for each additional entry.
- Submit one electronic file (pdf only).
- Each submission will be judged by three readers. (see below for information on scoring) Judges are readers of the romance genre not associated with the publishing industry.
- Eight categories will be offered. (see below)
- Three finalists per category will be determined by dropping the lowest of the three judges’ scores and averaging the remaining two scores. The winner will be determined by the highest score for the category.
- The final score of each entry will be returned to the author at the end of the contest, as well as the individual scores of the three judges for the entry.
Categories (any length, no maximum or minimum word count):
- Contemporary: Stories that are set from 1950 to present
- Erotic Romance: Stories with inherent sexual interactions between characters.
- Historical Romance: Stories set prior to 1950.
- Paranormal/TimeTravel/Fantasy: “Other world” elements are an integral part of the story.
- Romance with Spiritual Elements: Spiritual elements are a major portion of the story.
- Romantic Suspense: Mystery or thriller tone drives the story.
- Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance: A happy-ever-after ending is not required, although a satisfying resolution to the romance occurs.
- Young Adult Romance: Navigating young adult experiences drives the story.
- Contest opens January 1, 2020.
- Deadline for submission material is 11:59 CST, March 13, 2020.
- The top three finalists in each category will be notified by email. Finalists and Winners will be notified by May 15, 2020.
- Winners will receive a plaque for their accomplishment.
- Each entry will be judged by three judges. These judges will review the story as a whole (taking into consideration elements such as characterization, plot, and overall enjoyment of the story) and then give the entry one total score (rather than scoring multiple individual elements).
- Judges are encouraged to use decimals up to one tenth (such as 8.3). This gives the judge the ability to give the score they feel most appropriate (rather than having to decide between an 8 or a 9, for example) and reduces the chance of ties. Judges will also be asked to provide a very brief explanation of their score.
- The lowest of the three scores for each entry will be dropped. The remaining two scores will be averaged together to create the entry’s final score.
- In the event of a tie between entries for first, second, or third place, the tie will be broken by the entry with the highest dropped score.
Please contact Kayla Bain-Vrba the Write Touch Contest Coordinator, with any questions.
Contemporary – Short: Desperate Strangers by Carla Cassidy
Contemporary – Mid-Length: Headlights, Dipsticks, & My Ex’s Brother by Heather Novak
Contemporary – Long: Within Six Months by Cleo Scornavacca
Erotic: Waking to Black by V. H. Luis
Historical: The Good, the Bad, and the Duke by Janna MacGregor
Paranormal: Hellfire and Handbaskets by Kathryn Hills
Inspirational: From Shards to Sea Glass by Michele Wilder
Romantic Suspense: Buried Lies by Kaylea Cross
Mainstream Fiction: Race for the Sun by Minette Lauren
Young Adult: Between Silk and Sand by Marissa Doyle
Contemporary Long – Seana Kelly – Welcome Home, Katie Gallagher
Contemporary Midlength – LeAnne Bristow – Her Texas Rebel
Contemporary Short – Cathy McDavid – A Baby for the Deputy
Erotic Romance – Shelly Bell – At His Mercy
Historical – Anna Durbin – King of Swords
Inspirational – Laura Scott – His Only Witness
Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance Theme – Angie Stanton – If Ever
Paranormal/Time Travel/Fantasy – Lauren Smith- Grigori: A Royal Dragon Romance
Romantic Suspense – Bev Pettersen – Shadows of the Mountain
Young Adult – C.C. Hunter – The Mortician’s Daughter: One Foot in the Grave
Contemporary Long – Melynda Price – Fighting For Control
Contemporary Midlength – Sara Dahmen – Wine and Children
Contemporary Short – Stacey Joy Netzel – Spring Dreams
Erotic Romance – Jade Chandler – Enough
Historical – Margaret Mallory – Claimed by a Highlander (The Douglas Legacy)
Inspirational – Laura Scott – Shielding His Christmas Witness
Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance Theme – Robin Perini – Forgotten Secrets
Paranormal/Time Travel/Fantasy – Marissa Doyle- Skin Deep
Romantic Suspense – Abbie Roads -Hunt the Dawn
Young Adult – Tricia Cerrone – Glisten
Contemporary Long – A Winter Wedding by Brenda Novak
Contemporary Midlength – Power Privilege & Pleasure: Queens of Kings: Book 4 by LaQuette
Fiction with Romantic Elements – Backstretch Baby by Bev Pettersen
Historical – The Gunslinger and the Heiress by Kathryn Albright
Paranormal – Spirit Bound by Tessa McFionn
Romantic Suspense – Saving Andi by Barbara Raffin
Contemporary Long – The Heart of Christmas by Brenda Novak
Contemporary Midlength – New Year’s Promise by Anna Clifton
Romantic Elements – Amber Light by Virginia McCullough
Historical Long – Rebel Marquess by Amy Sandas
Historical Short – Triumph and Treasure by Collette Cameron
Inspirational – The Hesitant Heiress by Dawn Crandall
Paranormal – That Magic Touch by Donna Marie Rogers
Romantic Suspense – Danger Close by Kaylea Cross
Young Adult Romance – Innocent by Callie James
Short Series Contemporary – The Cradle Conspiracy by Robin Perini
Long Series Contemporary – Fatal Exposure by Gail Barrett
Single Title Contemporary – Unchained Memories by Maria Imbalzano
Romantic Suspense – Twice a Target by Susan Vaughan
Historical – Sweet Madness by Heather Snow
Paranormal/Fantasy/Futuristic – A Soul for Vengeance by Crista McHugh
Mainstream w/Romantic Elements – It Happened at the Fair by Deeanne Gist
Erotica/Romantica – Too Fast by Alexia Haynes
Inspirational/Traditional – Undercover Cowboy by Laura Scott
Young Adult Everything You Know by Mary Beth Bass
Short Series Contemporary – Unlocking The Surgeon’s Heart by Jessica Matthews
Single Title Contemporary – When Snow Falls by Brenda Novak
Romantic Suspense – Blue Ridge Fear by Robin Weaver
Historical – Seven Nights in a Rogue’s Bed by Anna Campbell
Paranormal/Fantasy/Futuristic – Fortune’s Hero by Jenna Bennett
Mainstream w/Romantic Elements – The Anatomist’s Wife by Anna Lee Huber
Erotica/Romantica – Unbridled and Unjustified by Elle Saint James
Inspirational/Traditional – All Roads Lead Home by Christine Johnson
Young Adult Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry
Short Series Contemporary – Cowboy Under Siege by Gail Barrett
Long Series Contemporary – A Deliberate Father by Kate Kelly
Single Title Contemporary – Don’t Mess With Texas by Christie Craig
Romantic Suspense – Lost in Italy by Stacey Joy Netzel
Historical – Redeeming the Rogue by Donna MacMeans
Paranormal/Fantasy/Futuristic – Biting Me Softly by Mary Hughes
Mainstream w/Romantic Elements – Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes by Denise Grover Swank
Erotica/Romantica – Bastian, The Lords of Satyr by Elizabeth Amber Inspirational/Traditional – Secrets of the Heart by Jillian Kent
Young Adult (tie) – Love Story by Jennifer Echols and Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter
Short Series Contemporary – Single Dad Sheriff by Lisa Childs
Long Series Contemporary (tie) – Quarterback Daddy by Linda Barrett and A One-Of-A-Kind Family by Holly Jacobs
Single Title Contemporary (tie) – Shut Up And Kiss Me by Christie Craig and Remember Me by Laura Moore
Romantic Suspense – Deadly Intent by Kylie Brant
Historical – The Hawk by Monica McCarty
Futuristic/Fantasy/Paranormal/Time Travel (tie) – Unchained: The Dark Forgotten by Sharon Ashwood and Rapture Untamed by Pamela Palmer
Erotica/Romantica – Love, Unexpectedly by Susan Fox
Inspirational/Traditional – High Plains Bride by Valerie Hansen
Short and Long Series Contemporary – Summer at the Lake by Linda Barrett
Single Title Contemporary (tie) – Mistletoe Rules by Stacey Joy Netzel and CEO’s Don’t Cry by Joselyn Vaugh
Romantic Suspense – Black Ribbon Affair by Casey Clifford
Historical (tie) – If He’s Wicked by Hannah Howell and The Wild One by Denise Eagan and Where The Wind Blows by Caroline Fyffe
Futuristic/Fantasy/Paranormal/Time Travel – Obsession Untamed by Pamela Palmer
Erotica/Romantica – In The Flesh by Livia Dare
Inspirational/Traditional Contemporary – Final Exposure by Roxanne Rustand
Mainstream with Romantic Elements – Turning Thirty Twelve by Sandy James
Short and Long Series Contemporary – Finding Mr. Right by Helen Brenna
Single Title Contemporary – Love With a Welcome Stranger by Lynette Baughman
Romantic Suspense – Conspiracy of Silence by Martha Powers
Historical (tie) – Siren’s Song by Trish Albright and An Improper Aristocrat by Deb Marlowe
Paranormal – Wicked is the Night by Catherine Mulvany
Erotica/Romantica (tie) – Menagerie by Lara Santiago and Seven Nights of Sin by Lacey Alexander
Inspirational/Traditional – MIA: Missing in Atlanta by Debby Guisti
Mainstream with Romantic Elements – Who Killed Walter Dobbs? by JD Tynan
Short and Long Contemporary – Shadow Whispers by Linda Conrad
Single Title Contemporary – There Goes the Bride by Lori Wilde
Romantic Suspense – Dead Giveaway by Brenda Novak
Historical – Lady be Bad by Candice Hern
Paranormal – Lord of the Fading Land by C.L. Wilson
Erotica/Romantica – Voyeur by Lacey Alexander
Inspirational – As I Have Loved You by Nikki Arana
Mainstream with Romantic Elements – Veil of Fire by Marlo Schalesky
Short Contemporary – Here With Me by Holly Jacobs
Long Contemporary – The Last Warrior by Kylie Brant
Single Title Contemporary (tie) – My Favorite Witch by Annette Blair and Sweet Water by Anna Jeffrey and Love on the Ropes by Pat White
Romantic Suspense – Jill 9 by J.D. Tynan
Historical – Twilight Magic by Shari Anton
Paranormal (tie) – Eternal Nights by Patti O’Shea and Eyes of Crow by Jeri Smith-Ready
Erotica/Romantica – Mona Lisa Awakening by Sunny
Inspirational – Front Porch Princess by Kathryn Springer
Mainstream with Romantic Elements (tie) – Calamity Jayne by Kathleen Bacus and The Crossroads Café by Deborah Smith
Short Contemporary – First Date by Karen Kendall
Long Contemporary – Big Girls Don’t Cry by Brenda Novak
Single Title Contemporary – Falling for Gracie by Susan Mallery
Romantic Suspense – Paternity Unknown by Jean Barrett
Historical – A Match Made in Scandal by Melody Thomas
Futuristic/Fantasy/Paranormal/Time Travel – Moon’s Web by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp
Erotica/Romantica – Shockingly Sensual by Lori Wilde
Inspirational/Traditional Contemporary – Hero Dad by Marta Perry
Mainstream with Romantic Elements – The Color of Light by Karen White
Traditional Regency – Lord Will and Her Grace by Sophia Nash
Short Contemporary – Beyond Control by Bronwyn Jameson
Long Contemporary – One Perfect Man by Lynda Sandoval
Single Title Contemporary – Shower of Stars by Nancy Herkness
Romantic Suspense – Sudden Recall by Jean Barrett
Historical (Long and Short) – Once a Gentleman by Candice Hern
Futuristic/Fantasy/Paranormal/Time Travel – A Man in a Kilt by Sandy Blair
Erotica/Romantica – In Ice by Leigh Wyndfield
Inspirational/Traditional Contemporary – Catching Katie by Robin Lee Hatcher
Mainstream with Romantic Elements – Unsettling by Lynda Sandoval
Traditional Regency – A Passionate Endeavor by Sophia Nash
Short Contemporary Series – Sleeping Beauty & the Marine by Cathie Linz
Long Contemporary Series – Christmas at Shadow Creek by Roxanne Rustand
Single Title Contemporary – After the Rain by Karen White
Romantic Suspense – Taking the Heat by Brenda Novak
Historical (Long and Short) – By Starlight by Marliss Moon
Futuristic/Fantasy/Paranormal/Time Travel – Spellbound in Seattle by Garthia Anderson
Inspirational/Traditional Contemporary – An Angel’s Gift by Sherry Ann Miller
Traditional Regency – Emily’s Beau by Allison Lane
Short Contemporary – Into the Fire by Leslie Kelly
Long Contemporary – Operation Mistletoe by Roxanne Rustand
Single Title – Hometown Girl by MaryJane Meier
Romantic Suspense – Rafe Sinclair’s Revenge by Gayle Wilson
Historical (Long and Short) – Irish Gypsy by Ana Seymour
Alternative Reality – Contact by Susan Grant
Inspirational/Traditional Contemporary – His Secretary’s Secret by Barbara McMahon
Traditional Regency – Kindred Spirits by Allison Lane
Short Contemporary – His Baby Surprise by Kathie Denosky
Long Contemporary – Leave It To Max by Lori Handeland
Single Title/Romantic Suspense – Never Say Never by Carla Jeanne Bingham
Short Historical – White Lion’s Lady by Tina St.John
Long Historical – The Prince’s Bride by Victoria Alexander
Traditional – A Nurse’s Patience by Jessica Matthews