Founded in 1981, Romance Writers of America® (RWA®) is a national non-profit organization of published and unpublished fiction writers and related professionals. With over 8,000 members located world-wide, RWA® offers many benefits and services:
- A monthly magazine focusing on the business and craft of writing, including current market information
- An annual conference offering workshops, editor/agent appointments, networking with other writers and the annual RITA® and Golden Heart® awards ceremony.
- Professionally judged contests for published authors (the RITA®) and unpublished writers (the Golden Heart®), both highly regarded by the publishing industry.
- A professional relations committee that services members in dealing with problems in the publishing area.
- Special interest chapters.
- Official RWA®-sponsored web site and email discussion groups.