Write Touch Readers’ Contest
Thank you for your interest in the 2020 Write Touch Readers’ Award Contest! We are excited to announce that our new website is almost ready to go live – but in the meantime, we are postponing opening our contest until our new site launches. Please check back over the next week or two for more information and email Kayla Bain-Vrba, contest coordinator, with any questions. Thank you!
Wisconsin Romance Writers of America (WisRWA) announces the 2020 Write Touch Readers Award contest for published authors. We are excited to continue welcoming diverse authors, stories, and characters to our contest.
Here are the rules for 2020:
- Each entry must have an original publication date of 2019.
- The contest is open to RWA ($30.00 per entry) and non-RWA authors ($35.00 per entry). WisRWA authors are allowed one free entry, $30.00 for each additional entry.
- Submit one electronic file (pdf only).
- Each submission will be judged by three readers. (see below for information on scoring) Judges are readers of the romance genre not associated with the publishing industry.
- Eight categories will be offered. (see below)
- Three finalists per category will be determined by dropping the lowest of the three judges’ scores and averaging the remaining two scores. The winner will be determined by the highest score for the category.
- The final score of each entry will be returned to the author at the end of the contest, as well as the individual scores of the three judges for the entry.
Categories (any length, no maximum or minimum word count):
- Contemporary: Stories that are set from 1950 to present
- Erotic Romance: Stories with inherent sexual interactions between characters.
- Historical Romance: Stories set prior to 1950.
- Paranormal/TimeTravel/Fantasy: “Other world” elements are an integral part of the story.
- Romance with Spiritual Elements: Spiritual elements are a major portion of the story.
- Romantic Suspense: Mystery or thriller tone drives the story.
- Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance: A happy-ever-after ending is not required, although a satisfying resolution to the romance occurs.
- Young Adult Romance: Navigating young adult experiences drives the story.
- Contest opens January 1, 2020.
- Deadline for submission material is 11:59 CST, February 28, 2020.
- The top three finalists in each category will be notified by email. Finalists and Winners will be notified by May 15, 2020.
- Winners will receive a plaque for their accomplishment.
- Each entry will be judged by three judges. These judges will review the story as a whole (taking into consideration elements such as characterization, plot, and overall enjoyment of the story) and then give the entry one total score (rather than scoring multiple individual elements).
- Judges are encouraged to use decimals up to one tenth (such as 8.3). This gives the judge the ability to give the score they feel most appropriate (rather than having to decide between an 8 or a 9, for example) and reduces the chance of ties. Judges will also be asked to provide a very brief explanation of their score.
- The lowest of the three scores for each entry will be dropped. The remaining two scores will be averaged together to create the entry’s final score.
- In the event of a tie between entries for first, second, or third place, the tie will be broken by the entry with the highest dropped score.
Please contact Kayla Bain-Vrba the Write Touch Contest Coordinator, with any questions.
Past Winners of the Write Touch Award