Write Touch Readers’ Award Contest
WisRWA announces the 2019 Write Touch Readers Award contest for published authors.
Here are the rules for 2019:
- Each entry must have an original publication date of 2018.
- The contest is open to RWA ($25.00 per entry) and non-RWA authors ($30.00 per entry). WisRWA authors are allowed one free entry, $25.00 for each additional entry.
- Submit either one electronic file (pdf only) OR three copies of manuscript in bound print form. Authors of print entries will be notified where to mail books.
- Each submission will be judged by three readers. (see below for information on scoring) Judges are readers of the romance genre not associated with the publishing industry.
- Ten categories will be offered. (see below)
- Three finalists per category will be determined by the highest combined score. The winner will be determined by the highest score for the category.
- The final score of each entry will be returned to the author at the end of the contest, as well as the individual scores of the three judges for the entry.
- Contemporary – long: Novels that are set from 1950 to present, 80,000 words or more.
- Contemporary – mid-length: Novels that are set from 1950 to present, 56,000 to 80,000 words.
- Contemporary – short: Novels that are set from 1950 to present, 40,000 to 56,000 words.
- Erotic Romance: Novels with inherent sexual interactions between characters.
- Historical Romance: Novels set prior to 1950.
- Paranormal/TimeTravel/Fantasy: “Other world” elements are an integral part of the story.
- Inspirational Romance: Spiritual elements are a major portion of the story.
- Romantic Suspense: Mystery or thriller tone drives the story.
- Mainstream Fiction with a Central Romance: A happy-ever-after ending is not required, although a satisfying resolution to the romance occurs.
- Young Adult Romance: Navigating young adult experiences drives the story.
- Contest opens November 15, 2018.
- Deadline for submission material is 11:59 CST, January 25, 2019. Books must be received by deadline to be included in the contest.
- The top three finalists in each category will be notified by email. Finalists and Winners will be notified by April 1, 2019.
- Winners will receive a plaque for their accomplishment.
- Each entry will be judged by three judges. These judges will review the story as a whole (taking into consideration elements such as characterization, plot, etc. and overall enjoyment of the story) and then give the entry one total score (rather than scoring multiple individual elements).
- Judges are encouraged to use decimals up to one tenth (such as 8.3). This gives the judge the ability to give the score they feel most appropriate (rather than having to decide between an 8 or a 9, for example) and reduces the chance of ties.
Please contact Kayla Bain-Vrba, the Write Touch Contest Coordinator, with any questions.
Past Winners of the Write Touch Award